I thought the ward map offered by Cambridge City Council was a bit lacking so I produced a Google Maps version. Use the on-map controls to zoom, drag to move and click on a ward for its name :
Click here to View in Google Maps for additional functions eg. highlighting one ward at a time.
The extent of the City boundary can be seen from the ward map. I believe there are areas where it would make sense to expand the city boundary so that those who essentially live in the City are able to have a say in how it is run. Areas I think should come within the City include:
- Howgate Road, Sunset Square St. Catherine’s Square and other roads off Kings Hedges Road currently outside the city.
- Arbury Park (also off Kings Hedges Road).
- Fen Road
- The whole Cambridge Airport site in advance of any housing development on it
- Gazelle Way and associated roads
- Teasel Way and adjoining roads
- The Trumpington Meadows site in advance of any housing development on it
I believe that is a minimum, and following the expansion of the physical city the boundaries may need to move further out in the future. The question of why the science park and Cowley road remain outside the city is also pertinent.
I would like to see expansion controlled and for places such as Milton, Teversham, Girton and other surrounding villages to retain separation although they are being encroached already.
I also believe that the areas just outside the City boundaries don’t get the attention they need from the district councils for example these areas are often where significant fly-tipping takes place.